Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Full Speed Ahead


After three weeks (almost four, for some) off, all music groups are back in the "sing" of things at First Baptist Church.

The SonShiners (our choir for 'seasoned' singers) were scheduled to meet yesterday for their first rehearsal of 2009. However, the weather was very cold, it was raining, and freezing rain (plus a winter storm advisory) was in the forecast. I just knew our numbers would be slim.

We had thirty one in attendance with one new member.

I don't know why I ever doubted this bunch. They are the ones who had to walk ten miles (both ways) to school .. every day .. uphill .. in the snow (at least that's the way I remember hearing it from my dad).

Senior adults never cease to amaze me.

They are early (most of them .. there's always one who can't seem to get going .. more fiber, please) for everything and you can pretty much count on them for anything.

Wednesday, the Preschool/Children's Choirs and our Adult Choir will have the same opportunity to "wow" me.

Their schedules tend to be a little more hectic (I'm really not so sure this is true .. talk to mom and dad about all their 'free time' since retiring) and, though it pains me to say this, they just don't live and breathe to come to choir (stop that foolish talk).

I am remaining optimistic (it's something new I'm trying, here at the beginning of 2009) and trust everyone will be able to remember how to get back to their respective rehearsal rooms (Google it).

Since we have been out for such a long time (three weeks during the holiday season is like having three months off, any other time of the year .. I think it's the tryptophan from all the turkey consumed), at our first rehearsal, we will be reviewing the basics.

"Good evening choir. This is your robe. The zipper goes in the front."

2 comments:

Susan Nelson said...

Stick with that optimisim, even if the other choirs don't show up. After all, it is not "your" choir, it is God's choir and He will dictate who will be there. While I was teaching in the women's prison, I remember a night when only one of the women showed up (I usually had 5-12 depending on how well they behaved themselves during the week.) I was so disappointed that I was just going to call the whole thing off. But she asked me if she could ask me a question (She was a brand new Christian). I said "Sure" because I had no where else to be. She was deeply troubled about some things going on around her in the prison and I was there to listen and give some biblical advice about how a Christian should act
in such circumstances. If I had had a full class I would not have been able to help her (The guards insisted we leave on time). I learned that night that when you have a group meeting, God will set up divine appointments with the ones that show up. So keep smiling, Kevin, God will take care of all of it.

Anonymous said...

Try offering doughnuts. That's the Baptist choir bait! Brings 'em in quicker than a government give-away program in Memphis!