Tuesday, January 20, 2009

No Thanks .. I Gave at the Office


Lifeline Blood Services had their "Bloodmobile" (it's kind of like an ice cream truck or 'Bookmobile' .. except children run from it .. not to it) at our church yesterday from 2:00 until 6:00 p.m. and I let them really "stick it to me" (most of the workers were formerly employed with the IRS, making them highly qualified to squeeze the blood out of this turnip).

My blood is O Positive (or, at least .. O '99% sure') and since this is a very popular type (it's comforting after hearing for years 'he's not my type' to know .. now, I am), I get calls every time these "blood suckers" are coming to town (Oh .. you better watch out, you better not cry, you better not pout, I'm telling you why .. ).

I have been giving blood for quite a few years and it makes me feel good knowing I have truly helped someone in need .. plus you get snacks.

When I was in Memphis, the Bloodmobile would come to our church on Wednesday afternoons. They would park outside the gym area (we had our Wednesday night suppers there) and the people (church members) could give before or after they ate.

Once, I remember sitting around the table and talking to one of the children who had a multitude of questions about what went on inside "that big bus." When I told him I was about to go in and let them "drain the blood from my body," I could tell he was a little "spooked."

Could I just drop the subject and leave it alone? Nooo.

I went in, let them do their job, and then talked a worker in to letting me have two round band-aids .. which I put on my neck. I may have, also, given the child the impression that a guy in a black cape and fangs did the extracting.

At last report, this young man (now age 22) still sleeps with a light on and never uses public transportation.

I'm an evil man.

Giving blood, of course, is no laughing matter (like most entries here on the blog).
  • The average heart surgery patient needs 6 units of blood
  • After an organ transplant, 40 units of blood is needed.
  • If you are in an automobile accident, the number of units averages out to be about 50.
I will be eligible to give again on March 16.

As long as there's a person who needs type O Positive .. or a child who hasn't been traumatized .. you can count on me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am O positive as well. Does that mean one day when I am in need I could be given YOUR blood. That really frightens me.

Anonymous said...

Kevin you are too hilarious! I cannot give blood because I am severely anemic - no not just an excuse, I have to take big iron pills and everything. You would think a tall giant woman like myself would have lots of blood to give, but for now I will just have to pray for those in need of blood and be glad that skinny people like you can support the cause.

RevKev♫ said...

Vicki Dale .. be afraid. Be VERY afraid.