Monday, January 26, 2009

Senior Citizen Conga Line .. Use Caution


Today at 1:45 (PM not AM .. I'm usually up at both) our SonShiners choir will be singing at the Humboldt Nursing Home. This is a ministry opportunity for us: going outside the walls of First Baptist Church to share the gift of music.

Since the members of the choir are all 55 and over (most WAY over), I have to be careful not to leave any "stragglers" behind (they all look alike .. you know).

When our children sing, this is not a problem. However, when you have a choir of senior adults singing for an audience of senior adults, things could get a little tricky.

Just to be safe, I am going to put a "smiley face" sticker on everyone when they get off the bus, so they don't end up having an unplanned "sleep over."

Sometimes the boys and girls from the DayCare hold on to a long rope when they go down the hall toward the gym. As an additional precautionary measure, I may borrow their rope and do the same with our group (I just hope no one has to make a bathroom stop).

During a portion of the program, I am going to have the nursing home residents sing along on a couple of familiar hymns. If I find some really good voices in the bunch, I may try to "swap" them for a few of my "pitch oblivious" singers.

Maybe no one will notice.

2 comments:

jidgede said...

right now i find this SO funny, but i'm getting oh so close to the "conga line"......

Anonymous said...

"pitch oblivious" - love it!

KB