Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Basketball Jones


I want to congratulate the Humboldt Vikings who will be advancing to the state quarterfinals in Murfreesboro with a record of 33-0. The last time the Vikes had an undefeated season was in 1949 and this is BIG news in a small town (this is BIG news in a big town, for that matter).

Cheryl has been there every time they played (she eats, drinks and sleeps sports, you know) cheering the guys on from the stands.

She was a cheerleader (we've got spirit, yes we do .. we've got spirit, how 'bout you?) in high school and I think she has been reliving her old student days in Lexington ('Go BIG RED!' works for Lexington and Humboldt, so she didn't have to learn new cheers) by going to all the games.

I have been behind the team's efforts (an athletic supporter) .. from afar.

When I have a free night (last night will be the only one this week), I stay close to home (it has nothing to do with the fact Cheryl wears her old cheerleading uniform to every game and carries pom poms and a megaphone .. honest).

Sadly, I wasn't one of the "cool" kids in high school (I know this must come as a shock to my readers).

I was a band geek. In fact, I marched every year in the Strawberry Festival parade here in Humboldt when I was a student at South Side.

Yes, there's nothing that attracts the ladies quite like a 120 pound clarinet player with a big nose, glasses, spats, and a plume .. sweating like a pig on a hot May day (mayday! mayday!).

Fortunately, you don't always have to be a "jock" to get the girl.

Look at me. I married the cheerleader.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just remember...you don't see many senior citizen football players, but you see (and hear) a LOT of "oldies" still honking the horns or tickling the ivories. So...sign your kids up for music lessons! Better yet, all you senior citizens sign up for Kevin's choir! He serves donuts and REAL coffee!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure whether to ask you to help us recruit for band or not. :-)
KB

Anonymous said...

Band Geeks Unite!

jlo~