Thursday, March 12, 2009

Some Like It Hot


When my daughter and son-in-law were students in Chattanooga, they both worked at a Thai restaurant called Sweet Basil. Cheryl and I loved the place and ate there on more than one visit (even when Megan and Will moved to North Carolina).

Recently, I learned there was a Thai place in Jackson and I have been "in a hurry for curry" ever since.

Tuesday night, I convinced Cheryl to make the twelve mile pilgrimage to experience the "delectable delicacies" of southeast Asia.

Thai cuisine is known for being hot and spicy (like Salma Hayek .. or so I'm told .. I've never really noticed .. sweetie pie) and using a balance of "five fundamentals" (hot, sweet, sour, salty and bitter) in each dish or meal.

The Thai Cafe was not exactly Sweet Basil, but it wasn't bad at all.

Cheryl had the Panang Neuw (I believe that's also the name of the principle violinist with the symphony) and I had the Spicy Tender Chicken (one of my nicknames from high school). They were both delicious and the portions were HUGE (we had enough left over we could have fed the Wednesday night 'Prayer Meeting' crowd .. we didn't).

I finished off my "to go" box last night after choir rehearsal and it tasted even better re-heated.

Let's just hope there are no "residual effects" after consuming mass quantities of this cuisine .. for two days straight.

Blest be the Thai that binds.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

To curry favor, favor curry!

RevKev♫ said...

Flatterer.

erin said...

Where is the Thai Cafe? I might have to get Stephen to go. I really like Thai food (and had the real thing in Thailand!), but he has never had it.

RevKev♫ said...

It's in the little shopping center on Carriage House (across the street from Logan's). Right in the corner .. not very well marked. It's not bad, but "Sweet Basil" .. worth a trip to Chattanooga!