Friday, March 20, 2009

Spring Has Sprung


A Vernal Equinox (the tilt of the Earth's axis toward the Sun .. the Sun being vertically above a point on the Equator .. yada, yada, yada .. anyone with a basic understanding of science knows that) has taken place.

In other words .. today is the first day of Spring (so named because of the new plant growth that "springs forth" due to the warming of the hemisphere).

Cheryl loves this time of the year. She enjoys working in the yard, trimming trees, planting flowers, gardening .. anything related to the great outdoors.

I associate springtime with mowing the grass and that, in the famous words of Ms Cathy (Meister) Melton .. "makes me feel sad in my heart."

When my children were at home, I loved it.

We played catch, flew kites, participated in RA rocket launches, threw lawn darts, visited the emergency room ..

Good times.

Since they are grown and gone, the "fun factor" has disappeared, as well.

Every time I go outside, Cheryl wants me to pull weeds or haul off limbs. Where's the joy in those activities? If I wanted to do an honest day's work, I wouldn't have gone in to the ministry!

How I long to have my kids back home .. Megan picked up pine cones and Drew ran the mower.

"Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord."

No comments: