Monday, March 9, 2009

Thank You for Being a Friend

Taking Sundays off from blogging has helped with that "pressured to produce" feeling that sometimes overwhelms me. However, skipping a day also seems to interrupt the "thought process" (there is one .. not MUCH of one, granted .. but I do at least day dream a little before the fodder flows (I think that's the name of a 'soap' my grandparents watched on CBS when I was a kid).

Going to the wedding reception in Memphis (see Saturday's post) was like a Whitten (a former church .. that is .. a former church of mine .. not a church that used to be a church that's no longer a church .. this is starting to get a little confusing .. and not particularly humorous) reunion. I saw friends I haven't seen for almost ten years (I suppose if they were real friends they could have at least picked up the phone ..) and the fact that I recognized them was no small miracle.

Cheryl and I have been on one cruise together (we stopped for medical reasons .. it makes her sick when I'm along) and all but one of the couples who traveled with us were/was (Katie .. Erin .. grammatically, which is correct?) there.

It was great catching up and talking about the "good old days."

This morning I received a note from a new "old friend" on Facebook (it's been well over 30 years since we were in school together). She commented, "you have the most friends I have ever seen on Facebook."

There are those (especially the FB junkies .. I don't consider myself one .. I only check it a dozen or so times a day) who have far more contacts than I do. But, I did check my profile (I have a well defined nose and a chiseled chin) and I have 562 people who claim to know me .. and actually admit it.

The Bible says in Proverbs, "A man who has friends must himself be friendly." It goes on to say, "There is a friend who sticks closer than a brother."

I'm not so sure the first part of that verse is true of "moi." However, I know that last part is "dead on."

Jesus! What a friend for sinners .. and tenors.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"all... were" - am i right, Erin?

erin said...

It's "were." :)