Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Kissing the Barney Stone


Top of the mornin' to ya and Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Saint Patrick (approximately AD 387 - AD 461) was a British-born Roman Catholic missionary and the patron saint of Ireland. Legend credits him with banishing snakes from the island (too bad he didn't live at a later time and in another part of the world .. we could really use his services in Washington DC) and teaching the Irish the concept of the Trinity by showing them the shamrock, a 3-leaved clover.

St. Patrick's Day is celebrated worldwide by people of Irish decent and those who just like to wear funny hats, fake beards and drink a lot.

The first St. Paddy's Day parade was held in Boston on March 17, 1737. It had a very meager beginning (the colonists marched through the streets throwing Irish Spring and Lucky Charms to the crowd), but has grown to draw thousands, including celebrities such as the Green Hornet, the Green Lantern, the Incredible Hulk and Al Green.

I don't really get in to all the hoopla (actually, I've never even used the word 'hoopla' until this very moment), but I will be wearing green and I do have something in my back yard that is distinctly Irish ..

Patty O'Furniture.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

As one who has actually kissed the Blarney stone, I must say it is highly overrated.....and I'm going to try the Patty O'Furniture on the next person who walks into the library....I hope it's Jenny D.!!

RevKev♫ said...

May the good Lord take a likin' to ya.

Anonymous said...

you forgot mean Joe Green, the jolly green giant and Mr Greenjeans

Anonymous said...

I too have patty o'furniture and it is GREEN ... extra credit for that huh!!!

Anonymous said...

I didn't want to be anonymous ... I just missed a blank or something! I know I know ... I'll work on my how to comment skills!!!

erin said...

That is just the kind of joke Stephen would make.

Anonymous said...

Revkev's jokes are full o'blarney!

Prettyology said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
j~lo said...

i see the phantom strikes again...