Saturday, March 7, 2009

It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood


Today's temperatures are supposed to reach 76° degrees here in West Tennessee. That's a far cry from last Saturday when it started out cold and rainy and ended up with several inches of snow (eleven in Jackson, I believe) on the ground to "wreak havoc" (that sounds like the name of one of those international villains in a Bond movie) on Sunday morning.

I'm glad the weather is nice (not because I love working out in the yard .. or anywhere else, for that matter .. you've got to be kidding) because number one son (birth order is very important .. how would you like to be referred to as number two? .. I didn't think so) is driving in from Chattanooga. The road conditions should be much better than they were a week ago.

One of Drew's buddies from Memphis is getting married today and we have been invited to attend the reception (we didn't make the cut for the actual ceremony .. that's fine with me .. I'm strictly in it for the cake).

I don't like being out late on Saturday night (Sunday's a 'work day' .. I mean a 'day of rest' .. if only) and this one is a "double whammy" with Daylight Saving Time beginning at 2 AM (the toughest part is setting my alarm for two o'clock, getting up to change the time and then INSTANTLY losing an hour of sleep .. wait a minute .. if I spring forward when I first go to bed, I won't have to get up at 2 .. what a brilliant idea!! .. I wonder if I could patent it??).

However, this is a "one time only" event (statistically they have a 50/50 chance .. but I won't be sharing that little bit of info with the new bride and groom when I go through the receiving line) and Daniel and his family mean a lot to us.

So .. we're going to Memphis tonight and I will see all you FBC Humboldt folk (if you don't oversleep .. set those clocks!!) in church.

I'll be the guy on the platform "nodding off" during Greg's sermon.

If I play my cards right .. not that I condone the playing of cards on Sunday .. I can make it look like I'm praying.

3 comments:

Susan Nelson said...

That picture is sooooooooooo you. It just seems so, so, natural.

RevKev♫ said...

I like you just the way you are.

Anonymous said...

Cake good...donuts better!