Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Here Comes the Son


It's been great having Will & Meg here for the last few days. However, there still seems to be something missing. Something that will make my holiday season .. complete. There is. It is my firstborn, a son .. and he shall be (is) called .. Drew.

Although we were able to see him during Thanksgiving (a couple of days, in Humboldt) and Megan back in October (a couple of days, in Pigeon Forge .. she got the better deal), this will be the first time the entire family has been together in quite a while (our family Christmas card has two pictures on it .. we couldn't get the four of us in one place long enough to snap a photo).

When the kids grow up and leave, things change.

I don't eat as many home cooked meals (until they come back, to visit .. note to self .. start new diet after holidays). I don't wake up in the middle of the night to see if their car is in the driveway (I still wake up in the middle of the night, but I don't check for their cars .. too often). I don't have anyone to argue with over small, insignificant, non-important issues (Cheryl wins every time .. that's no fun).

The "empty nest syndrome" is very real and it is devastating .. for a short while. However, you slowly start getting used to to idea of reclaiming your space and .. time.

There are no more band contests or ball games. There are no more fundraising items to sell (can I get an amen, somebody?). There are no more loans to float .. for the most part.

Life is a journey. There are ups and downs, highs and lows, goods and bads (I can go on and on .. I really 'got it' the day we learned opposites at school).

For this portion of the journey, there's just the two of us (except for the daughter, son-in-law, son, two cats, and five tons of dirty laundry that has returned to the nest for several days) and the Lord.

This week, the journey is a sentimental one.

No comments: