Friday, December 19, 2008

It's All in the Cards


It's six days before Christmas. Can you believe it? It seems like only yesterday it was .. seven days before Christmas.

We do a photo card each year to send to friends and family and those cards were mailed yesterday afternoon. Hopefully, they will get to their respective destinations before Christmas day. If not, many of you can look forward to the Hamilton family's New Years resolution (600 dpi on 4 x 8 heavy paper).

Our church, has a "post office" located outside the worship center (that's 'sanctuary' for you old-schoolers) where you can leave Christmas cards for fellow (or lady) church members. You are asked to donate the amount saved on postage (42 cents times the number of cards .. see students, math is important) to international missions. This is on the "honor system" (there's a little container on the table to drop in your money) and not policed in any way (I'm thinking about installing a security camera and cracking down on the freeloaders). This works well for us, and the post office gets far more traffic (we have a huge pile up between 'I' and 'J') on a daily basis than this blog site.

Some people are not content in merely sending a Christmas card. They like to send a Christmas newsletter. This newsletter usually includes all the wonderful things (exotic vacations, cruises, etc.) they have done throughout the past year. I feel like I speak for 95% of the general public when I say .. you make me sick. I'm glad you had an amazing year, but do you have to rub it in my face?

My dog died in January, I blew up the engine in Cheryl's car, and I've had a colonoscopy. However, I'm not going to Kinkos with a dozen digital photos commemorating those events and a lengthy mailing list.

Some things are best kept private.

UPDATE: My wife likes those newsletters .. never mind.

No comments: