Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Twelve Daze of Christmas


"The Twelve Days of Christmas" seems, at first glance, to be a silly song about receiving gifts for a dozen consecutive days prior to December 25th. In actuality, it is religious in nature and speaks of the twelve days between Christmas and the beginning of Epiphany, which is January 6 (I see your point, Dinah .. just don't hold your breath .. no more carols).

The song lyrics say on the fifth day of Christmas the gifts were five golden rings, which represent the first five Books of the Old Testament .. the Torah or Pentateuch (today's 'The More You Know' moment has been brought to you by RKH).

I received a gift on the fifth day of Christmas: a book from my daughter entitled, "No One Cares What You Had for Breakfast: 100 Ideas for Your Blog," by Margaret Mason.

I'm not quite sure if this was supposed to be funny (a thought that passes through the minds of my readers each and every day) or if it was intended to be something like an .. intervention (you have an obvious problem .. we love you and want to lend our support).

As I read this "self help" guide, you may see some changes evolve in the style and/or subject matter of RKH's blogspot. Perhaps I have fallen into a "dear diary" rut by sharing about driving to Jackson, having headaches, experiencing sleepless nights, or being constipated (I believe fruitcake could be substituted for mortar, if necessary).

I tend to think I have been sharing slices of my life. You may wish for a smaller slice or, perhaps, you are stuffed and can't take another bite (enough, already!).

Over the next several days, I will be doing some "soul searching" and re-evaluating. Feel free to check back in and see what (if anything) I learned.

BTW, it was coffee, cream, two sugars .. I haven't read the book, yet.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin! This is a ghost from your past, Susan Nelson. I just wanted to say that your blog is cute, but you are capable of so much more. You taught me so much about what praising God really means. You and your family also taught me a lot about being a Christian and still having fun. I'm not saying that you need to be serious all the time. What I am saying is that you have a writing style that can present Christ in a palpable way with the use of a touch of humor. Why not do for others what you were able to do for me?

Anonymous said...

don't change your style kev or I will roll your yard and worse.

RevKev♫ said...

Susan, good to hear from you .. Tom T. Kitty must have told you about this place! Thanks for the kind words about touching your life. You and your family mean a lot to me and were certainly very supportive when I was in Memphis.

For the most part, this blog is little more than fluff and filler. If you dig in the archives ("I've Got a New Attitude," "You Favor Your Dad," "A Bird in the Hand," "Lighten Up a Little," and "The Fight Is Over," to name a few), there are posts with a little more (granted, very little more) to them.

RKH's blog is still a work in progress. Thanks for your heartfelt suggestion to make it more of a witness for the cause of Christ! Blessing to you and yours in the new year!

Anonymous said...

I (can't speak for anyone else) think if it ain't broke don't fix-it. I personally love your blog just the way it is. You have light-hearted days and days filled with Christ in your heart. You see I know these things because I do read EVERY day. Guess I didn't learn my lesson....didn't I tell you I was going to keep my thoughts to myself? Ha!Ha!

bookmom said...

I love your blog! I'm desperate to know what you had for breakfast each and every morning! I'm worried about myself....

Anonymous said...

Tom T. Kitty recommends bran flakes for breakfast...that should keep you on the move (along with your jokes!) I'd run, too, if I were guilty of telling those jokes!
Hey Anonymous...I've got some pink flamingos if you want to roll Revkev's yard or worse!