Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Pass the Sparkling Grape Juice .. I'm Baptist


Today is New Year's Eve, a time when many will make complete fools of themselves (a little late for the party, aren't we? .. I do this on a regular basis) by drinking and dancing the night away.

I'm Baptist. We don't drink .. publicly (actually, I've never had a drop of alcohol in my entire life .. I'm enough of an idiot, sober). We don't dance (choreography is as close as we get). We don't overeat (okay, two out of three ain't bad). We .. "pray in" the new year.

I lived through 2008 and, believe me, praying for what's ahead in 2009, should be priority one.

Today is, also, my parent's anniversary. They've been married for something like ..112 or 113 years, I believe. I want to wish them a very Happy Anniversary (I hope they read this .. it's all they're getting from me).

You would think getting married on New Year's Eve would be exciting and memorable.

One year, my parents .. both of them .. forgot their anniversary and didn't think about it until a couple of days into January. How do you let a little thing like .. the anniversary of your wedding date, slip your mind? If balloons, party streamers, and fireworks aren't enough of a reminder .. perhaps, a very large wall calendar might be in order (I know what I'm getting them next Christmas).

I love you, mom and dad (so does Cheryl .. talking about you in today's post has taken the attention from her).

I have to get in the shower and finish getting ready. It's Wednesday .. the regular meeting day of my men's prayer group.

I've seen the numbers and 2009 is going to need all the prayers we can muster.

Amen?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your post today. I am commenting on your blog so it's only fair to give you mine. So here it is: http://faithfulromance.blogspot.com
Let me know what you think about it.

Anonymous said...

Don't be fooled...my undercover sources saw you dance at a certain birthday party not too long ago...and rumor has it you were spotted dancing, er, performing creative interpretive movement (Baptist for dancing!) at a Keenager luncheon...too much sparkly grape juice!