Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Missed It By That Much


Well, it's five o'clock in the morning and it appears that "sure thing" ice storm they predicted has either stalled or missed us completely.

This comes after everyone and his brother (I always felt sorry for the brother .. he must really feel left out NOT being included with everyone) cancelled meetings, games, practices, rehearsals, and classes in the entire West Tennessee area.

The "science" of weather forecasting is looking more and more like it's done with a roll of the dice or a Magic 8 Ball. At best, the meteorologist is "dead on," only fifty percent of the time.

If I apply that stat to my profession, I can have 26 "duds" on Sunday mornings in a year's time (come to think of it, that's a fairly accurate assessment of my work in the music ministry .. my apologies for being so critical, Jim Jaggers).

Because of this latest weather warning, I cancelled an outing (last night) with our senior adults to Bellevue's Singing Christmas Tree. I made the call around ten o'clock in the morning (we were to leave for Memphis at 3:30) to "can" the trip (for the safety of our seniors .. and because I really didn't want to go .. rainy days and Mondays always get me down). Some were disappointed (they would lose some money on this little venture .. boohoo, take a look at my retirement fund), but they understood. Thankfully(?), Bellevue cancelled their Monday night performance (on the advice of .. the National Weather Service) and that made me look better, when nothing ended up happening .. at all.

On the positive side, there is no ice to contend with this morning during Humboldt's rush hour (make that .. quarter hour .. okay, three to five minutes), and there's milk, bread and eggs in 99 percent of the homes in Jackson and it's surrounding area.

French toast, anyone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thank you for your generous assessment of my profession. As a United Methodist Choir Director, I have always heard of the kindness and forgiving nature of Baptists, but have now experienced it for myself. Thanks again.

Yours in Christ,

Jim Jaggers
WREG TV News Channel 3
Memphis, Tennessee

RevKev♫ said...

Someone actually reads my blog?? I better be more careful what I write!