Saturday, December 20, 2008

Over the River and Through the Woods .. then Turn Left on Chere Carol Road


If everything goes as planned, Megan and Will .. and Jack & Dewey (our grandcats) should be here before the end of the day .. yeah! They left their North Carolina apartment late yesterday afternoon and made it all the way to Newport, TN (that's where Meg's text said they were .. I received it at 1:40 this morning).

They are, approximately, six hours away from our house and the start of a ten day Christmas break in West Tennessee (I'm excited right now .. my tune may change after having our "cat free" environment invaded by two creatures of the feline persuasion for the next week and a half).

My daughter looks a lot like me (a fact she can not deny .. lament, yes .. deny, no). However, she acts a lot like her mom. This means she loves to sleep in on Saturday morning, if at all possible.

I'm sure the motel where she and Will stayed last night (make that .. early this morning) has a checkout time of eleven o'clock or so. I'm also sure, they could request a late checkout and stick around a little longer.

My point is this. That six hour drive from Newport to Humboldt may take far longer than I would expect.

I'm an early riser .. for the most part. If I have somewhere to go, I want to be up, out and on the road by "dawn's early light." If I'm on time for an event, I'm late for an event (I will make an ideal senior citizen .. they arrive, at least, one hour before any planned activity I have).

Megan and Will have a different concept of time and "time travel" .. a wrong one. They are more laid back in their approach to life .. que sera sera. Though this is a great frustration to me, it probably means they will live longer, healthier lives. Longer, healthier .. late for everything .. lives.

So, here I am .. waiting for the arrival of my daughter.

I couldn't do anything about it in March of '87, and I can't do anything about it, now.

Patience isn't one of my virtues.

No comments: