Thursday, October 23, 2008

It's Beginning to (Almost) Look a Lot Like Christmas


Church music ministers and Walmart have, at least, one thing in common. We start getting ready for the Christmas season far before anyone really wants to think about it. There's just something strange about bows and wrapping paper being displayed right next to a SpongeBob Squarepants halloween costume (and that's just in the choir room .. Walmart is even worse).

Last night, our children's choir and adult choir devoted a good deal of time working on Christmas music.

The boys and girls are doing a mini-musical (only a few short weeks ago it appeared the adults might be going the same route) on Wednesday, December 3. Children learn quickly and are ready for anything.

Adults are .. not like children (okay we have a few who are .. including this writer). When you get older, it is harder to memorize (Fourscore and seven years ago .. ) and you are more cautious in .. everything.

This year's Christmas project (quickly becoming known as Project Run-away .. several have jumped ship), is, perhaps, one of the more challenging (who am I kidding? .. it's the most challenging) ones I have ever selected. It's very wordy and there are several places where the harmony is so barbershop you can almost feel the lather and razor on your neck (a month ago, I was considering the 'razor on your neck' part).

Last night, we "turned a corner' and I am beginning to believe we can tackle this monster. Rehearsal numbers were up and the choir did a great job with the music.

It appears Christmas will, once again, be coming to First Baptist Church.

I want a pony.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel about the christmas music Kevin. I was beginning to wonder. I announced to my choir last night about my future plans. It went really well. Tell you more later.
David

erin said...

I guess I just need to miss choir more often so there can more awesome practices then! ;)

Anonymous said...

Glad we finally had a practice you were actually excited about.....the ship was looking pretty deserted.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to admit I am STILL having a very difficult time with this music--can't seem to concentrate enough to learn it. Maybe, I can just be the smiler during the program or maybe I can go to Louisville for that weekend. We'll see!!!!

Cathy said...

Are you staying calm, cool and collected as usual? You know how Christmas always brings out the "best" in musicians - that spirit of "happiness" as you practice, practice, practice. God bless ya!

RevKev♫ said...

"Are you staying calm, cool and collected as usual?" ... You know how "fun I am to be around" this time of year. Actually, I'm not as bad as I used to be!