Monday, October 20, 2008

Two Heads Are Better than One


Yesterday I found myself (many men over fifty are trying to do that) needing to be omnipresent. Actually, just two places at one time .. but it would be cool to travel without the hassle of .. traveling.

As you may (while strolling through the park one day .. in the merry, merry month of .. ) or may not remember, Cheryl and I are involved in a small group on Sunday nights for couples. It is a follow-up to the movie, "Fireproof" and is going very well.

In order to be involved in this study, I had to have the music for Sunday night worship covered for six weeks.

Last night, the college student who has been helping me (thanks, "Tall Nick") had a bad head cold and was unable to fulfill his duty (I still snicker when I say that word .. how I miss junior high).

Since our regular (not diesel or premium .. though I do consider them premium) accompanists are involved in other small groups, this meant there was no one available to play the piano/organ/guitar or even .. accordion (I've never actually used an accordion for worship .. though I wouldn't be opposed to it if you could sing "Amazing Grace" to the tune of "Lady of Spain").

The easiest solution to my dilemma was to do it myself.

I can lead from the piano .. in an emergency situation (my piano expertise is right up there with my former college voice teacher). So .. that is what I did.

The problem was trying to facilitate our small group (from 5 to 7 p.m. .. at someone's home) and being at the evening service (6:00 o'clock .. at FBC). However, with some assistance from a friend (thanks, Henry) and the absence of the Humboldt Police on Chere Carol Road and Mitchell Street .. I was able to do both.

I lamented to Cheryl that I was only one person and wouldn't it be great if I could be cloned.

She must be getting a little hard of hearing. She never responded.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh you can be sure she responded. Just not audibly!

JDM in Memphis

RevKev♫ said...

You DO know her. I hope things are well with you, Jeff. We miss you guys.