Tuesday, October 7, 2008

That's One Hot Pot


I seem to be on a roll with tearing up things and for a few minutes this morning, it looked like my lucky streak was continuing.

I tried to make some coffee and all the water stayed in the basket .. it wouldn't drip down into the pot. This would not have been quite so frustrating if I had only had my morning coffee (don't talk to be beforehand) but .. therein was my dilemma.

Fortunately, I had only made four cups and the water was able to be contained in the basket. If I had gone for the whole pot, things could have gotten very messy.

It reminded me of an incident years ago when I was in Valdosta, GA.

I served (as music minister .. not waiter) at Lee Street Baptist Church and part of our "ritual" was to arrive early on Sunday morning and gather around the coffee pot for some pre-Sunday School caffeine. This all took place in the hall on the second floor - adult wing.

On a particularly cold Sunday morning, we had finished one round of coffee and the handful of people who were there, wanted more. Since there was no kitchen on the second floor, I asked Jo Karon (one of my choir members) to go into the ladies rest room (there was no men's room on the second floor) to get water .. from the sink.

She did. However, it seemed to be taking her a very long time and a large crowd had just arrived and was now gathering by the coffee-less Bunn machine. This is when I decided to open the door to the ladies room and yell, "Jo Karon, what's taking you so long?" Jo Karon responded, "I'm waiting for the pot to cool down."

No one stayed for a second cup.

No comments: