Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Take a Chill Pill


The last few mornings it has been a little cold here at "This Old House." I like to wait as long as possible (December? January?) before turning on the heat (I'm starting to think like a senior citizen .. it's expensive), but sometimes it's just nice to "knock the chill off" when you first get up.

Yesterday, when I tried turning on the heat .. nothing happened. You could hear the faint sounds of "I think I can. I think I can" coming from the heating unit, but .. no go. I have a call in to Marcus Heating and Air and, hopefully, it won't be anything major .. like a blown head gasket.

When I was a kid, we lived in an old house in Bemis (Land of Opportunity). I recall my dad having the very same philosophy concerning when to start using the heat (January? Never?). Because of this, we had to warm up in creative ways.

If you could get downstairs when mom was cooking, you could open the oven door afterwards and let the heat fill the room. If she happened to be washing clothes, the hot water would heat up the top of the washing machine and you could sit on top and warm up. The dryer was, obviously, a good option and I probably hugged it more than any of my relatives at Christmas.

Well, I'm older now and embracing home appliances doesn't seem to be accepted in today's modern society (it's about the only taboo).

What can a guy do to keep warm? All the political debates are over, so all that hot air is gone (I wonder if anyone taped those?).

Snuggling is nice, but I don't think Cheryl will agree (it's not part of her regular morning routine).

In one of the Star Wars movies, Luke Skywalker cut open a dead animal and climbed inside to stay warm. Since there are no dead animals around (actually there is this weird smell coming from the pantry) and I'm only slightly chilled .. I'll pass on that one.

Has anyone seen my "blankie?"

No comments: