Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Seeing Is NOT Believing


Last night I had the privilege of attending the Upward Soccer Recognition Night at our church.

That program has really "scored" (pardon the pun) big with the community since its "kick off" (I repeat .. pardon the pun) a few years ago.

The "goals" (okay, this is just getting down right annoying) of the program are worthy:
  • Every child plays
  • Every child learns
  • Every child is a winner
There is a strong spiritual emphasis with scripture memorization, prayer (we had over 100 prayer partners .. thanks, Ms Glenda), and devotionals for the parents/family/friends at the games. It's one of the better things our church offers for the boys and girls of our community (the best, of course, is children's choir) and I appreciate Jaclyn Scott for heading it up.

Ken Hartley, minister of music at Central Baptist Church of Hixson (Chattanooga), did a masterful job as an illusionist (ALL ministers of music need a "second skill" to help pay the bills .. an illusionist makes it appear you have more money than you actually do).

I've known Ken for years. In fact, I knew him when he was still Kenny (I think he had to change his name as part of a "relocation" program .. he had ties with organized crime .. however, they were very nice ties .. silk, I believe).

His dad (also, Ken .. or "Doc" as he was lovingly called) was the chairman of the department of music at Union when I was a student (the early 1920s) and he had a great influence on my life. I still miss him.

The tricks were top notch last night and Ken's presentation of the gospel was clear and to the point (we will go through the commitment cards today).

Glenna Hartley, Ken's mom (and one of my very favorite people in the world), was there and I know she was so proud. It is always a thrill seeing me .. and her son and grandson were also there.

All in all, a good night.

When I got home, I told Cheryl every detail of the evening. She said in a way, she felt like she was married to an illusionist (okay, she said I tricked her into marrying me) and suggested I drop "stand up comedy" and start working on magic.

Her exact words were, "I'm watching Dancing with the Stars. If you don't disappear, I'm going to saw you in half."

Cheryl has such a dry sense of humor. She said that with a straight face.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Again I say, Poor Cheryl!!!!!