Friday, August 8, 2008

Be Cool .. Stay in School


Today is the first day of school for those in the Humboldt City School system and this can mean only one thing: Cheryl is "sad in her heart" (a phrase coined by a friend in Memphis several years ago).

It seems that the summer breaks around here are getting shorter and shorter (rumor has it next year the students will start back in mid June). This is bad for the students, teachers and staff. It is good for ministers of music everywhere.

I hate summers.

Rehearsal numbers plummet, Sunday attendance is sporatic, and I tend to take things like this personally. Summers interfere with my plans and I hate it when I don't get my way (Cheryl is saying "Amen" in the background).

Rick Warren's book,The Purpose Driven Life says that "it's not about me". I beg to differ. Yes it is. Oh, I know that is true in theory. I just have a hard time with this in practice .. choir practice. There were a couple of nights this summer that looked like we were doing sectional (small group) rehearsals. Marvin Gaye would say we needed a "sectional healing".

Well, that's all over. People are getting back to a routine and things are looking up.

"What's that? .. You can't be at choir tonight because your child has tons of homework?"

I hate the fall.

1 comment:

j~lo said...

"Sad in my heart"... I've always said that. Was it me, or do I just not remember where I heard it first??? Feel free to make fun if it was me. Even if it hurts my feelings I probably won't remember it for long.

Jen