Tuesday, August 5, 2008

This Remote Looks Like a Cockpit!


Well, Godot (or Roy, as he preferred to be called) arrived (see yesterday's post) about 9:30 AM and we are now receiving satellite transmissions from the skies above. It is wonderful, except for one thing.

One of selling points of DirecTV and the main reason that you should drop cable (according to their ads) is the number of choices that you have. Over 235 channels, I believe.

I never liked having to choose. Mom knew this and tried to make life easier for all of us growing up. Eat what is on your plate or .. go hungry. There WAS a choice (eenie, meenie, minie, moe) involved, but the correct answer seemed so obvious.

I suppose having more choices is a good thing. However, I still freeze up when I open a menu at Red Robin (come on, there are over 50 gourmet burgers!) or when I GET to chose ONLY four from the long list of "break out" sessions at a Maximum Man (real men can make up their minds) conference.

Those of you who are already used to satellite TV are thinking that today's post is just plain stupid (unlike my highly cerebral other writings). Remember, I am over 50 (hmm, just like the number of gourmet burgers at Red Robin .. fascinating) and I'm starting to get into that senior adult mindset of not liking change.

I'm trying. Don't rush me.

Gotta go. I have to get ready for work .. right after I go through the channel guide (it's been about 15 minutes and I'm only a fourth of the way through) to see what I will be missing.

So many choices, so little time.

No comments: