Friday, August 29, 2008

What We've Got Here Is .. Failure to Communicate

My son, Drew, called last night. Was it to say that he misses me? Did he call just to hear my voice? Nope. I'm tech support, plain and simple. He was setting up a wireless router and wanted to talk (make that mumble) through the process.

If you've ever called for technical support, you know there are just some things that can't be articulated over the telephone. Evidently, there is also some sort of requirement that you not speak or understand the English language.

Last night was no exception.

He was frustrated. I was frustrated. All God's chillin' were frustrated.

I am getting a little hard of hearing (it's a good thing I'm not in a profession that requires good listening skills) and it's significantly worse when I'm on a cell phone. Add to that a caller who is working with something like, let's say .. a wireless router, and you have a recipe for disaster.

He was speaking in his OUTSIDE voice. I was speaking in my OUTSIDE voice. All God's chillin' .. (you get the picture).

All did end well, however. The router was up and running and no one slammed down the receiver (it's hard to make a dramatic exit with a cell phone .. "Don't make me press END!"). I believe he might even speak to me again .. in time.

That's about it for today's installment of "As the Stomach Churns". I have to return a call to my dad who is, also having computer problems (I need a 1-800 number). Evidently, when he clicks the "thing-a-ma-bob" by the "what-ya-ma-call-it", the "do-hicky" doesn't ...

I'm so not getting any inheritance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean!! My wife and I walked out the door of the office the other day with a can of WD-40. When asked what WE were doing, my wife said, "WE are going to oil a squeeking door hinge at home. Please pray for us." Followed by, "One of us should stay here." Oh well, just as you did, WE made it through it.