Monday, August 4, 2008

Waiting for Godot


I have never been very good at waiting for anything. I'm a guy (mystery solved) who stands in front of the microwave shouting, "Let's go! Let's go! Let's go!." I like for things to move along at a brisk pace.

This morning I will be doing some of my work (email, writing a newsletter article .. Oprah) from the house as I await the arrival of the DirecTV installer. He will be here sometime between 8 and noon (please, please, please).

I know I could go on to the office and have him call just before he arrives, but I want to be sure that I don't miss him. Been there. Done that.

On more than one occasion I've waited, and waited, and waited and (get the picture?) for UPS or FedEx to show up with no such luck. The very instant I go to the bathroom or out back to turn on the sprinkler, I have returned to see a "Sorry We Missed You" note on the front door. I hate it when that happens.

Not today. I have food, water, my laptop, a catheter ... this guy is ready for the long haul.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice ..

It has not escaped my attention that in the Samuel Beckett play, Godot never arrives. If Vladimir and Estragon had owned a MasterCard, Visa or DiscoverCard, that might not have been the case.

No comments: