Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I'm Looking for the Man Who Shot My Paw


The Humboldt Music Club (I am the program chairman this year) will meet tonight at Grace Methodist Church at 7 o'clock. This organization was formed in 1925 (I believe a few in the group are charter members) which makes it the oldest club in Humboldt.

First Baptist's own, Fran Newell and Janice Pillow, are in charge of tonight's program which is is entitled, "Songs of the Old West."

I attended a rehearsal for this program on Sunday and it is going to be a root'n (Ru-dy, Ru-dy, Ru-dy) toot'n (... that one's too easy. I'm not going for it) good time for everyone.

They will be singing songs like "Home on the Range", "Sue City Sioux" (say that three times really fast, but not out loud in church), "Happy Trails to You", "Yellow Rose of Texas" and the list goes on and on (trust me, the list goes on and on .. I was at rehearsal).

In typical Fran and Janice fashion, there will be costumes, props and staging. This is going to be quite a production.

The purpose of the Music Club is to promote good music (I was grandfathered in and didn't have to meet these stringent requirements) in our community by utilizing the talents of its members and invited guests, and we are looking for a few good men (you can't handle the truth) and women to join us.

We meet four times a year (about the same number of rehearsals that Barry Brittain attends in adult choir) and would love to have some new blood (children of the night) in the group.

The public is invited tonight, so why don't you join us and see/hear what we are all about?

I just wish they were singing my favorite cowboy song: "Get Off the Stove, Granny. You're too Old to Ride the Range."

No comments: