Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Wednesday's Child Is Full of Woe


In the old children's nursery rhyme, Wednesday was not the very best day (that explains my summer rehearsal numbers) to be born. Monday's child was a "pretty boy" (fair of face), Tuesday's child was full of grace (I'm evidently full of something else according to writings in the bathroom stall outside the choir room) and then we have .. Wednesday.

It's interesting to me that the original verse, which appeared in Harper's Weekly in 1887 (I'm thinking about renaming this "The Learning Blog"), said that Wednesday's child is loving and giving.

I suppose this covers all the bases.

Of course this "fortune-telling" rhyme doesn't set your fate. You can choose to be whatever you want to be: from "loving and giving" (not so much) to "full of woe" (I'm leaning more in this direction).

For what it's worth (I know, not much), I was actually born on Wednesday, May 29, 1957 (yes, I'm a '57 model - a classic).

I prefer "Whoa", dude.

No comments: