Sunday, August 31, 2008

I'm Late .. I'm Late .. I'm Late


Sundays are hectic, but I always try to find the time to post an entry on my blog. It usually happens after lunch before a short (or not so short, if I'm in the zone) nap.

Today is a little different.

Cheryl and I had to go (and I emphasize the word had) to a family reunion immediately after church and I just got home. If I start rambling (something completely uncommon for me), it's because I'm sleep deprived and slightly "loopy".

Family reunions are right up there with a case of the shingles or having an enema. There .. it had to be said.

Don't get me wrong. The food is fabulous, I do like Cheryl's family, and these events (a term usually associated with the Olympics, but totally appropriate in this case) offer a great opportunity for me to brush up on my memory skills (now you're married to Uncle So-and-So's sister from .. help .. can someone please make it stop???). That doesn't sound so bad, does it?

The "deal breaker" is the family picture .. or should I say picture(s). There are hundreds of them. It's like a photo shoot for Sports Illustrated without all the hot women (except for my lovely wife, of course .. nice save, don't you think?). A bus load of Japanese tourists couldn't snap any more photos than we have done at a typical King or Flowers reunion.

"Look, here's Kevin eating a piece of chicken." ... "Hey, check out this picture of Kevin after eating a piece of chicken." ... "That's a great shot of Kevin sitting next to Jon .. who's eating a piece of chicken." ... "Is that Kevin over there on the floor in the fetal position?"

If my mother-in-law is reading this, Alice, please forgive me. I hope that over 27 years of marriage to your daughter will convince you to show me a little bit of grace for what I have written today. It was all in good fun and you know I really do love you.

There are 314 photos of us hugging to prove it.

No comments: