Saturday, August 23, 2008

I'm a Big Kid Now


It's 8:00 AM on Saturday morning and I can tell that I'm getting old.

I have a counter at the bottom of my blog that not only tells me how many people have been to my site (the numbers seem fairly impressive .. but most of the "hits" are from me), it also tells me what time this has occurred. By the time I logged on this morning, four people (you know who you are) had been by to see if there was an update.

When I was a kid (in the chronological sense), I would have been up hours earlier watching Saturday morning (make that all day) cartoons. Of course, in 1967 (click the above photo to see the full schedule) the incentive was there to rise and shine early. CBS had a killer line-up that included "Shazzan", "Space Ghost" and "Jonny (I'm sure he had to constantly spell it .. much like the Shaniquas and Orajels of today) Quest". Of course, the official morning schedule didn't start until eight o'clock. I had been up since 6:30 watching "The Adventures of Superman" (the old George Reeves version .. not to be confused with "The Superman-Aquaman Hour of Adventure" at 11:30), eating pop-tarts (Jaclyn Scott's breakfast of choice) and drinking chocolate milk (whole milk .. not that 1% swill that I have to drink today).

Now, at age 51, all I have to look forward to on Saturdays is cleaning out the garage, scrubbing the toilets, mowing the yard, and things of this nature. Not very motivating. Oh well. I suppose we all have to grow up sometime.

Gotta go. Cheryl's attending day two of her women's conference and I only have a couple of hours to re-create a scene from "Risky Business".

Just take those old records off the shelf
I sit and listen to 'em by myself
Today's music ain't got the same soul
I like that old time rock and roll

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This an awesome post brother. I'm hooked. I will be back again and again. REally, you might need to slow down on those hush puppies. And are Shazzan and Shazzam the same thing?