Sunday, August 3, 2008

Better Late Than Never


My Sunday posts (as opposed to the Saturday Evening ones) are usually later than the other days of the week. I try to have something written in the morning hours Monday - Saturdays. On Sundays, I wait until I get home from our morning services .. usually. Today it is different. It is now night time and I am just getting around to penning something for your reading pleasure (or displeasure, in some cases).

My day began at 5:30 AM. I got ready as soon as I could and made my way to the church (about 6:30) to unlock the gazillion doors around the perimeter of our building and to turn on lights. I climbed the stairs to the sound booth to input the songs for the morning service into EasyWorship and found that the computer did not boot up properly (I hate Windoz). After giving it another try, the Dell (Michael Dell eats worms!) finally decided to cooperate.

The National Guardsmen (or Guardspersons, if you prefer) from our area were being deployed today and they left the armory at 7:30 AM. Several of us lined up on Main Street to show our support and to wave goodbye as they left to serve our country.

I then got in the car and headed back to the church to make final preparations for the nine o'clock rehearsal with the instrumentalists (Katie and Ben, today) and tech crew.

The service began at 10:30 with two baptisms, a variety of hymns and choruses (brilliantly selected and executed, if I do say so myself) and the first of a series of messages from 1 Thessalonians by Bro. Greg.

After church, Cheryl and I went to Jackson to eat lunch (she usually prepares a full meal made from scratch .. but not today) and have 191 photos (digital is a blessing AND a curse) developed. The pictures were not going to be ready until 2:45 PM and I hate waiting, but gasoline is expensive and there was no need of making another trip in to Jackson. So, we went to Target and Kohl's to kill a little time.

After picking up the photos (there were some good ones), we headed back to Humboldt where I was able to take a brief (but necessary) nap on the couch (I'm starting to feel at home there) for about 30 minutes or so.

The alarm sounded (I curse you, Westclox) and it was time to go back to the church, unlock again and pick up the bulletins (were you people raised in a barn???) from the pews and floor. This was followed by a meeting at 5:30 PM with those interested in ringing handbells and the six o'clock service featuring a mission share time from our Romania team (very good, btw).

The people stood around and talked endlessly afterwards (I'm so glad I'm a part of the fam'ly of God .. but enough is enough) until someone turned the lights out (who could have done that?), ran them out of the building, locked the last four doors and made their way home.

Sunday: It is a day of rest.

No comments: