Friday, August 1, 2008

Don't Shut Me Out


Yesterday afternoon, I received a call on my cell phone (it's the iPhone 3G 8 gig model in black for those who might have forgotten) from a number that I didn't recognize. Imagine my surprise when I heard my wife's voice from a number that was not hers. She would have used her own cell phone, but it was locked in the car .. along with her keys.

You see, she had stopped to pump gas (she can also change her own oil and rebuild a transmission - that's my Proverbs 31 woman .. except for the "rises early" part) and locked her car with the keys inside. Under "normal" circumstances this would have just been a minor annoyance, but the price of gas had dropped 12 cents and it seemed like everyone in town who had a vehicle was lined up for this "once in a lifetime" deal.

I could tell by her voice (she frightens me sometimes) she was frustrated. Fortunately, I was able to drop what I was doing (not checking out who was on Facebook - it was during office hours) and head over to rescue (here I come to save the day!) my damsel in distress.

When I arrived at Wal-mart, it was so crowded around the gas pumps that I had to wait for another minute or so just to get to Cheryl.

There she was .. standing there waving off angry drivers. You could she the hate and disdain in their eyes as they pulled in behind her only to be forced to back up and drive to another pump. It was horrible!

I knew what I had to do: Park my car to the side, run up with the spare key, act like I was a locksmith, unlock the door and run away. If the crowd even suspected that I knew her, it could have gotten ugly. So, that's what I did.

You know the couch in the living room is not all that bad.

No comments: