Saturday, August 16, 2008

It's 3 A.M. and Your Children Are Safe and Asleep .. Not Me


Well, I'm really starting this day off right. I'm tired and it's only eight o'clock in the morning (I don't usually start yawning until 9:45 or so).

When I went to bed last night (around 11:30 PM) I just knew I was going to get a good night's sleep. I could barely keep my eyes open (like in church) and I kept nodding (also, like in church) and drooling (again .. church) all over myself.

It was time to call it a night.

Things were going great. I was sleeping hard and dreaming my favorite dream. It's the one where it's my last day (I didn't know it was my last day at the time) and I tell everyone off who's given me grief over the past several years. It was so liberating. Do you think Walmart is hiring?

At around one o'clock, the telephone rings and I jump straight up in bed. My heart is pounding and I can feel the blood surging through my head. When you are in the ministry (yes, for the 1000th time, I am in the ministry) a phone call in the middle of the night usually means there has been some kind of tragedy.

Was there a bad wreck or did someone die? Noooo. It was a wrong number.

A wrong number .. at 1 A.M!

I realize mistakes happen (Cheryl has been paying for one she made almost 28 years ago) but for crying out loud (which, by the way .. I did), double check the number before you dial it, ESPECIALLY if it's in the middle of the night.

I was wide awake and I could not go back to sleep. The really bad part was that they had blocked their number so I couldn't call back every 15 minutes for the remainder of the night.

I'm still working on that unconditional love thing.

No comments: