Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Thanks for Reminding Me .. Yeah, Right


Yesterday, I received a package in a plain brown wrapper (like Ice-T or P-Diddy). Inside were two DVDs with a note that said, "Here is a video of something you did thirty years ago." Of course, my first thoughts were, "Where am I going to get the kind of money to make this go away?" and "I wonder if WalMart is hiring?"

You see, thirty years ago would have been during my college days and back then I would pretty much say and do anything for a laugh (unlike today .. I'm older and can't quite do what I used to).

Imagine my surprise (and relief) when I realized it was a copy of Gilbert & Sullivan's, "Mikado" that we presented at Union University when I was a student. I played Pooh Bah, the Lord High Everything Else (a role usually given to a rather large man .. I weighed 135), and this was my one and only acting stint.

The "mystery package" was courtesy of Dr. Joseph Blass (this was his first big iDVD project), who directed the operetta back in the late seventies (the decade, not his age at the time).

Dr. Blass was my voice teacher and sort of a pop icon (maybe it was just pops) at the university. He came to Union in 1959 and retired in 2004. Last year, he returned to help out in the music department when there was a need (His, not theirs. He was strapped for cash and just showed up one day .. sad, very sad).

Forty five years in one place.

In a day of microwave ovens, fast food and "get rich quick" schemes, that is what I call an incredible accomplishment (I believe the administration called it .. wearing out your welcome).

I had the privilege of serving up some "roasted joe" at his retirement dinner four years ago, and it was one of the true thrills of my life (I held some bitterness over a conducting grade and this was part of my therapy to let it go).

Of course, this is all in good fun (I have to say that to avoid a libel suit) and I count it a great honor to say that I studied with Dr. Joseph Blass .. he dies a little inside every time I say it, but I still say it. He'll be okay, though. After all ...

It's only a flesh wound.

3 comments:

jaybee said...

Thanks... I think... for your kind(?) words.

jb

davidg said...

Kevin, you can't act now and I know you couldn't act then as well. lol!

Anonymous said...

No I think I remember a short acting stint you had shirtless as "Guitarzan!"

Love your blog, by the way.