Thursday, September 11, 2008

Born to Be Mild


Tonight is our monthly Youth of Yesterday meeting at church and our special guest is, none other than, David G. (the G is for Geritol®) Whaley. David is an old friend (I haven't known him a long time .. he's just old) and former minister of music at FBC Humboldt.

Everybody loves David (sorry Raymond, you have some competition) and we will have a large (obesity is a major health issue among the elderly) crowd, I'm sure. He can sing, play the piano, tell jokes or even just .. gargle. It doesn't matter. The folks love Dave.

An interesting dynamic of tonight's meeting is that another former First Baptist mom (minister of music), Don Holland, is our YY president (this is his second year .. there's no term limits). I believe Don was at FBC from 1962-67.

Don is loved by our people, as well.

You may think there is some jealousy involved when former staff members come back to visit. Not true. I love these guys and count them among my best friends (I don't have too many friends, you know).

I'm really looking forward to tonight and seeing everyone "fall all over" Dave and Don. I do understand, though.

People like me a lot more when I'm not around, too.

No comments: