Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Excellent, Dude!


Last night's worship ministry banquet for Englewood went great. The place was beautifully decorated, the food was delicious, and the people laughed (that last one was the most important .. in my humble opinion).

I saw a "handful" of folk I knew from my old alma mater, Union University (sorry, Dr. Dockery .. I know you hoped that info would never go public .. please quit telling people that I'm a Lambuth graduate), and I did know a few more. However, most were new faces and it reminded me that much has changed since I was on staff as a music and youth assistant from 1977-79.

For instance, imagine the "joy and elation" I experienced when a mother of three said she remembered me. Evidently, she was eight years old (that's just a few years younger than their current pastor, Ben) when I was there! I never thought of myself as old, but the realization is .. I am what I am (I still love Popeye). Don't get me wrong. Old is not bad. It just looks better on someone else.

I was supposed to take about 30 or 35 minutes last night, but I felt like I was "in the zone." So, I went a little bit longer. The crowd responded well (it's a good night in my book when nothing is thrown and they don't spit on you) and it felt good to hear the laughter.

Proverbs and Reader's Digest is right. Laughter is a good medicine.

Bradley Gray closed the evening with a wonderful challenge based on the banquet's theme, Excellence in Ministry (don't worry, the irony of me, Mr. Fly-By-the-Seat-of-His-Pants, being the keynote speaker didn't escape me). His desire to take things to a new level spoke just as much to me as it did to the Englewood members.

Singing is fun. It should be. However, we should strive to be the best for the very Best.

"Love so amazing, so divine demands my soul .. my life .. my all."

No comments: