Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I'll Be Back .. Told Ya!


I'm certainly no Schwarzenegger (though people often mistake me for the California governor) but, just like his character from "Terminator", tonight I will return .. to Englewood Baptist Church (I was a music and youth assistant there as a college student).

That's right. I have been asked to speak at their worship ministry appreciation (...thanks for your service...here's our speaker, a sarcastic, bitter, "has-been" who was here 30 years ago...do you feel appreciated?) banquet at Festivities! in Jackson.

Bradley Gray doesn't know me that well (duh .. that's obvious) or he wouldn't let me step foot anywhere near his people. Don't get me wrong. I'm not really a bad guy. I'm just not really a good guy.

Guest speakers should be encouraging and inspirational, not discouraging and perspirational (spellcheck says this is not a word, but I'm sticking with it). Face it. If you replaced Hugh Laurie's cane with a conductor's baton, you would have .. me. I am like the House (which, by the way, season 5 premieres tonight) of music ministers (that sounds like a 1940's horror flick .. "Fall of the House of Music Ministers").

I am going to try to do my best, though. It's not often you get the chance to "go back home." Especially, if there was some type of church bylaw (and let's not forget that court order) that was passed immediately after you left.

I guess time does heal all wounds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just got a Mac and love it. I would say you are a much more southern version of House, but that is a great show.