Monday, September 1, 2008

Happy Labor Day


Labor Day originated in 1882 by the Central Labor Union of New York City and was started as an effort to create a day off for working class citizens. Congress was looking for another day of "down time" and made it a federal holiday in 1894. Labor Day is officially observed on the first Monday in September, but I suspect (not from experience, mind you) it is practiced on many other days throughout the year (especially when the boss is out of town).

I'm not much on letting government tell me what to do (George Orwell and Apple's 1984 commercial sealed it for me), but I can't argue this one. I feel, it's my duty (that word makes me laugh every time) as an American to sit on my "tushy" (all day .. if needed) to show support for my country (Lee Greenwood is getting just a little misty at this very moment).

Cheryl, on the other hand, is a bit of a rebel (kind of like Patty Hearst .. without the submachine gun, of course). I'm sure she will want to clean out a closet, sort through old papers, or wash windows. To make matters worse, she will probably try to "pull me down" with her by involving me in these very unpatriotic acts that could tear the very moral fiber (and who couldn't use more of that) of this great nation.

I love my wife and I love my country.

Cheryl, do the right thing. Please don't make me choose. It's taken me a long time to develop the calluses on my rear.

Don't let that effort be in vain.

No comments: