Wednesday, September 24, 2008

You Favor Your Dad


My Wednesday morning men's group started a "new" (to us) book last week by Max Lucado (who else?) entitled, "Just Like Jesus." The subtitle, Learning to Have a Heart Like His, pretty much says it all.

I find it difficult, at times, to think and act like Jesus. In theory, I'm right there. In actions (many times) .. not so much.

When the phrase "What Would Jesus Do" hit it big in the 1990s (it was actually coined in a book by Charles Sheldon in the 1890s), you saw WWJD on every bracelet, shirt, backpack, and water bottle in every Christian bookstore and mail-order catalog.

I remember an incident in Memphis at the Baptist Book Store (now, Lifeway) on Summer Avenue when an elderly man asked the salesclerk what WWJD meant. When she told him, he said, "Well, He sure wouldn't pay $29.95 for a hat."

Maybe not. Maybe.

It is much easier to "talk the talk" than "walk the walk" (I'm sounding like a preacher .. I hate it when I sound like a preacher). I suspect more than one person with a "Honk if You Love Jesus" bumper sticker has turned and "cussed" the driver behind them when the poor guy was just following instructions.

I guess that's why so many people are quiet about their faith. Perhaps, it's better to keep your mouth shut and look ignorant, than to open it (on something like, let's say .. a blog) and erase all doubt.

Though, not great at being just like Jesus, we are all He has for such a time as this.

Scary, isn't it?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great words, Kevin. I am keenly aware of this struggle as I tour a one-man drama of the book In His Steps and have since 1984. While WWJD? went a bit too commercial, I do find that the question is still a good and sometimes haunting one!

Blessings,

Chuck Neighbors

Anonymous said...

Hey RevKev:
We are utilizing this book in sunday morning Bible study. It's one thing to "read" a great study book. It's definitely another to "study" it in a group. It's sometimes refreshing; sometimes convicting to hear another's thoughts on the same words you yourself read during the week.
JWil

RevKev♫ said...

Chuck, I checked out your website and saw the video clip from "In His Steps." Great job! I'll be praying for you and your ministry.

Kevin

RevKev♫ said...

JWil, I know this is going to be a great study. We are one chapter behind your SS class. I'm sure some of the discussions will end up around our table at the grill.