Friday, September 19, 2008

Last Night Was Dyn-o-mite!


It's Friday (with a powerful opening sentence like that, I could have been a trial lawyer). I am off today (yeah!) and I should have been up early, doing all the things I can't seem to get done throughout the week. Instead, I'm wasting daylight.

Yesterday began at 3:15 AM for me. I couldn't sleep (surprise, surprise, surprise), so I just got up and got going. By 3:15 PM, I was nodding off at the drop of a hat (I was shocked .. what was wrong with me .. I had four hours sleep the night before).

I made all my hospital visits in Jackson after lunch and by 4 o'clock, I was on the road (again .. just can't wait to be on the road again) to the Memphis Funeral Home on Poplar and I-240.

Cheryl agreed to go (great .. someone to keep me awake on the trip home .. wait .. Cheryl always sleeps when she's not driving) and we arrived .. right in the middle of rush hour traffic.

After paying our respects, we went to Bahama Breeze, where we met a friend for dinner (we say "supper" in Bemis, but I wanted to sound high-falutin').

When Cheryl and I lived in Memphis, we had some very dear friends, Susan and Jeff. I called earlier in the day to see if they could meet us for dinner .. supper .. something to eat. Jeff was out of town, but Susan was available.

Susan is one of my very favorite people in the world (I gave her my blog address last night and she might be reading this .. so just play along) and she and Cheryl are like "two peas in a pod" (so much for sounding high-falutin').

There was plenty of "girl talk" and one very uncomfortable "woman talk" conversation where I had to actually excuse myself from the table (if I wanted "The View", I would have taped it).

The whole evening reminded me that we really did have some good times during those 6 1/2 years.

We have been gone from Memphis for over nine years and we don't get to see or talk to old (Susan recently had a birthday) friends that often. However, every time we do .. no matter how much time has passed, it's like we just pick up the conversation where we last left off.

That's rare. That's .. true friendship.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Glad you had fun! You are still missed...yep.

Anonymous said...

Kevin, you are not right! It was great seeing you guys last night.