Saturday, September 27, 2008

Who Ordered the Soccer Player?


The church's Upward Soccer program is in full swing (make that .. kick) and it is a wonderful sight to see all the boys and girls who participate. It was not always like this.

When Upward (thanks, Chad & Rhonda Roberts) was first discussed a few years ago, many didn't think it would "fly" (I believe I can fly .. I believe I can .. ). This is the south. We play football, basketball, and baseball. That's it. Upward Wrestling .. maybe, but not soccer.

Fortunately, they gave it a shot and it is a BIG deal, now.

Jaclyn Scott took the ball and ran with it (I didn't think you were supposed to touch the ball with your hands??) when the Roberts left and we have great participation each week.

This morning, I am going out to the field to give a 3 to 5 minute (it will be closer to three) devotional for the parents. This is an integral part of Upward where the parents hear from different church members, most with some type of athletic ability.

Me? I'm the guy who got Ernie Hayes' autograph years ago when we went to see the St. Louis Cardinals play at Busch Stadium. Ernie Hayes is the organist.

I did play baseball as a kid (Most Improved - 1969 .. I have a trophy), but that is about the extent of my career in sports.

I'm content just to be an athletic supporter.

No comments: