Sunday, September 7, 2008

Pardon Me Roy, Is That the Cat That Chewed Your New Shoes?

Cheryl and I have been enjoying a three day weekend in Chattanooga and it has been great. I love the area and there is always so much to do and see .. and eat.

This is how it came about.

Several months ago, I was invited to speak at a choir retreat for Ridgedale Baptist Church in Chattanooga. The date was for the Friday night before our anniversary on Saturday and this seemed like the perfect opportunity for a mini-vacation. Since I had no plans for our anniversary (when we were dating, I was thoughtful) .. does that count?), the timing couldn't have been better.

I pitched the idea to Cheryl and made it sound like this was something I had been planning for months. Our son, Drew, lives in Chattanooga, so that made it a "no brainer" (a term often used to describe me .. or was that just "no brain"?). She was in.

When we arrived at the Marriott on Friday evening, I suggested a swim might be refreshing and relaxing (Cheryl doesn't know about the speaking engagement, remember). As we are heading to the pool, I casually mention that I would like a newspaper to read. I tell her to go on and that I would be down in a minute. That's when I drove over to the retreat, spoke (by the way, I found that lost notebook I mentioned a couple of entries ago .. it didn't help) and returned to the hotel.

Since this took about three hours, I had to make up a long story about how the gift shop at the hotel was out of newspapers and how that forced me to drive to a local convenience store, and how I thwarted a robbery attempt and had to wait for the police to arrive, yada, yada, yada ...

I'm pretty sure she bought it.

Trust is the foundation of any good relationship.

No comments: