Monday, September 29, 2008

Franklin, My Dear .. I Don't Give a Tam

"Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise."

This, of course, is a famous saying by Benjamin Franklin which appeared in Poor Richard's Almanack (a collection of periodicals from 1732-1757, containing his wit and wisdom).

Franklin sure knew how to turn a phrase. However, his words are far more poetic than prophetic.

Early to bed: I went to bed early (it was 12:25 AM .. that's early .. in the wee hours of the morning).
Early to rise: I awakened early (4:02 AM .. speaking of wee .. I had to).
Makes a man healthy: I'm on blood pressure and cholesterol medicine (I, evidently, worry a lot .. when I'm eating a bucket of chicken).
Wealthy: Have you seen the stock market, lately? I would have been better off stuffing money under the mattress (if I had money to stuff under the mattress).
And wise: If a man speaks in the woods and there's not a woman there to hear him .. is he still wrong? (No, Cheryl wouldn't smooch during "Fireproof").

Franklin may not always hit the nail on the head, but he has given us some things to think about.

"A penny saved is a penny earned."
"Never leave that till tomorrow which you can do today."
"Don't eat the yellow snow."

Okay, Ben Franklin didn't say that last one .. but he should have.

Trust me on this.

No comments: