Saturday, September 6, 2008

You Are the Sunshine of My Life


I will go ahead and give you fair warning. This post is going to be a serious one. No wisecracks. No parenthetical quips. No poking, prodding, or teasing. If you are looking for a laugh, look elsewhere.

Twenty eight years ago, I became a man, most fortunate. On September 6, 1980, Cheryl and I repeated our vows in a ceremony at Englewood Baptist Church in Jackson, TN and became husband and wife.

We met when I was on staff at Englewood as a music and youth associate. Cheryl was a member there and we knew each other, but we didn't date until after I graduated from Union University and left Englewood to take a full-time position at FBC, Huntingdon.

Cheryl worked as a technician for a local optometry group and part of her responsibilities involved fitting eyeglasses at the dispensary in the Old Hickory Mall.

I recall being at the mall with my friend Anthony and dropping by to talk with her on several occasions. One thing led to another and, before you knew it, we were going to see a movie (Arabian Adventure with Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing and Mickey Rooney) when she finished work. It was sort of like our first "date". I say sort of because Anthony came along, as well.

The next time we went out, it was just the two of us and it didn't take me long to realize this girl was "the one". Consequently, we dated, were engaged, and married in less than ten months. It was a whirlwind relationship, but when you find the right person, you know.

I knew.

She deserves much better, but I'm so glad Cheryl said yes when I asked her to marry me, over twenty eight years ago. My life would not be complete without her by my side.

Happy Anniversary, Cheryl. Thank you for being my wife.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet of you!
And you added a real picture of you two so people know who the author is of this and who your bride is.

May God bless many more years between you two!

Cathy said...

And what a great day to be married on...only the best on the 6th of September. (Well, except for the Munich Olympics - LOL) Congrats to two who deserve the most happiness!