Tuesday, September 9, 2008

This Is the Dawning of the Age of Aquarium


On our final day in Chattanooga, we went to the Tennessee Aquarium with Drew and Katie (they kept following us all weekend and we just couldn't get rid of them).

Even though he has lived there (Chattanooga, not the aquarium) for six years, Drew had not been to the aquarium since he was just a little fellow. Katie, on the other hand, has gone on several occasions and will get to return, once again, in a couple of weeks when her mom visits. To her credit, she seemed interested.

The highlights, for me, would have to be the jellyfish (they are much more fascinating when they're not stinging you) and the penguins. By the way, one of the varieties was called the Humboldt penguin. They say they are named for the European explorer who first saw them. I'm not so sure. When they lined up and walked out together, it looked like they were parading in front of a panel of judges. Huh .. interesting.

After three and a half hours (hey Katie, look .. it's another fish!) at the Aquarium, we went to eat at Sweet Basil. This is the restaurant where Will and Megan worked before they were married. We went there for sentimental (ah, my daughter and son-in-law used to wait tables in this very room) and practical (this food is wonderful!) reasons.

I had the spicy catfish (for some strange reason I had a craving for seafood) because I had eaten it before. I was not disappointed. For dessert, I had the coconut ice cream. It was good, as well. I don't know what the others had. I was too busy trying to keep my runny nose (that was really spicy catfish) from dripping on to my plate.

I recognized one of the ladies who poured our water and asked if she knew this couple (I had Will and Meg's photo on my iPhone) and she just laughed and said, "Will and Megan!" She went on to say a lot of the customers had asked about them. It was good to know they were loved and missed (I know that's the case with me).

We finished our meal, dropped Drew and Katie off, and pointed the car toward West Tennessee. Four hours later, we were back in the "real world" (Humboldt .. not the MTV show).

It was good to get away for a few days. It helped me have a better mental attitude (I no longer want to go on a shooting spree) and it gave me something to write about.

That's a win/win situation in my book.

No comments: