Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Objects in Mirror Are Closer than They Appear


Tonight at 6 o'clock, we are having our 2008-09 Music and Missions kick-off for preschoolers & children at church. We will be enrolling boys and girls for the Wednesday night activities that begin next week on September 10.

Each year we try to have something that will excite the children and encourage our families to be there (inflatable bounce house, relays, pizza party, etc.). Tonight we have a special guest .. a juggler/illusionist (there are a few boys and girls from last year that he can saw in half or make disappear .. either is fine).

I don't know about everyone else, but illusionists (they were called magicians when I was a kid) fascinate me. I still watch with amazement when I see a performance on television or on stage, live. How do they do that?

Things are not always as they appear.

A little boy asked his dad if he believed everything he heard and the father said, "No." Then the boy asked if his dad believed everything he saw. His dad agreed that he pretty much believed everything he observed. With that, the boy said, "Today, at school, I saw a mouse run down the aisle and up the teacher's pant leg. Believe it or not, she stood up and squeezed about a gallon of water out of that mouse!"

Things are not always as they appear.

When Megan was little, she had several girls over for a slumber party. I've been involved with this type of event before and the emphasis is always on the party and not so much on the slumber. With that in mind, I went throughout the house and set all the clocks forward three hours. At some point in the evening, I was able to get all the girl's watches (I think I was doing some type of magic trick .. I mean illusion) and change them, as well. The next day, the girls were bragging about staying up to 3:30 AM to everyone. In actuality, they had gone to sleep at 12:30 AM.

The point of that story (besides that I lied and was deceitful to my innocent, trusting child .. that sounds a lot worse now than it did back then) is ...

Things are not always as they appear.

Whether it's a Tyrannosaurus Rex in a car mirror, an illusionist removing a grade AA large egg from a child's ear, or a father resetting his daughter's watch (I'm really starting to feel bad about that one) ...

Things are not always as they appear.

Young people can spot a phony a mile away. Fortunately, I mainly work with adults.

No comments: