Monday, November 3, 2008

Here Comes the Judge


Cheryl has been called for jury duty and she must report in .. (I'm sorry. I tried to let it go, but .. I just said duty again) this morning at 8:30 AM.

This is the first time she has been asked (make that ordered) to perform her civic .. you know what.

In 1954, when the play, "Twelve Angry Men" was written (today's more correct version would be, "Twelve .. and How Did That Make You Feel? .. Persons'), women were not allowed to serve on a jury on the federal level (that changed in 1975). Today (you've come a long way, baby), women are permitted to get just as angry as men (many are angry because they are married to men).

I served my time (on a jury .. not at the 'big house') when we were living in Memphis.

In the tradition of all good citizens, I tried every possible avenue (then I finally turned down the right street .. Memphis is so large) to get out of serving. However, I ended up like the unprepared gambler .. no dice. The judge would not excuse me (I raised my hand a couple of times .. what more did he want?) and I had to .. make that, was allowed to .. serve.

I received fifteen dollars a day and the joy of driving to and from downtown Memphis .. during the busiest part of the day.

I hope Cheryl doesn't end up having to fight that heavy Humboldt traffic.

No comments: