Monday, November 24, 2008

It's Raining, It's Pouring


The hour is early (4 o'clock) and it's raining outside to "beat the band" (an expression that brings back painful memories to this former clarinet player).

I used to do some of my very best sleeping while it was raining. There was nothing better than a Sunday afternoon nap .. unless it was a Sunday afternoon nap with the gentle sound of rain outside my window. Now .. it just makes me have to go to the bathroom. Oh, what a difference a few years can make.

The forecast is calling (softly and tenderly) for A.M. showers (that's when I like to take them .. my hair is too oily to do it at night) and I hope the prediction is correct. The SonShiners choir is at 1:30 and I don't want anything to discourage them from coming (who am I kidding .. the people in that age category would walk five miles in the snow, if necessary).

Young people (a term that I now use for anyone under fifty) are not quite as reliable. On Sundays, if there is the slightest (or a snowball's) chance of precipitation, they turn off the alarm, roll over and .. play dead.

The days of having perfect attendance or bringing back a bulletin from where you went to church while on vacation .. are over.

I am fifty one. This means I fall (to pieces) somewhere in between these two philosophies. I would never think of missing church, but going in late to the office on a Monday morning because it was cold and rainy?

I'm no Joan of Arc.

No comments: