Monday, November 10, 2008

I Sing Because I'm Happy


We finished the final "Fireproof" small group session (the sixth week) at our house last night and the topic was forgiveness. This is a good thing because we, also, had chili and taco soup afterwards and I am going to be saying, "Excuse me .. please forgive me" all day to those in my immediate vicinity.

Today, I will be going to the Nashville area (okay, Gallatin to be exact) to rehearse with the Tennessee Baptist Mens Chorale and the Tennessee Ladies Chorus (we are singing for the TBC in Hendersonville).

I am not in the greatest shape vocally since developing a sore throat on Saturday night. However, the show must go on (plus, I can get out of the office for the day).

Being in the chorale is one of the great thrills (when you are over fifty, those come few and far between) of my life. I love singing with these guys! As fellow (and a few ladies) ministers on music, they "do what I do" each and every week, so we have a special bond (James Bond).

At today's practice, we will laugh together, cry together and .. maybe (if Paul is lucky), sing together.

You would think MoMs (Ministers of Music) make the very best choir members. This is not true. They get on to YOU (the choir member) for talking on Wednesday night. However, THEY talk constantly during rehearsal. They tell YOU to sit up straight on the front of your chair while THEY are in a slump that makes the economy look great.

You notice, I said THEY. I "practice what I preach." I am the ideal choir member .. no brag, just fact (and I'm humble about it).

I must bring today's entry to a close. There are still a few things I need to do before leaving town and I need some gas .. for my car.

I wonder what would happen if I put some of that chili in the tank?

No comments: