Saturday, November 15, 2008

Singing in the Rain


It's cold and rainy here in Humboldt and this would have been a great Saturday to sleep in. However, that failed to happen. I didn't exactly "catch the worm" (no, that's not code), but it couldn't be too far ahead of me.

We are having the piano in the fellowship hall tuned this morning and I had to go set the thermostats to the desired temperature (a challenge in itself .. Baptists are like the three bears .. this room is too hot .. this room is too cold .. this room is just right .. okay, they are like the two bears .. it's never just right).

I am "project oriented" and "crisis driven" which means the piano has needed tuning for some time. However, it has not been critical (another fine Baptist trait) until now.

Tuesday night, November 18, the Humboldt Music Club (the oldest club in town .. trust me, most of our members are ancient) will be meeting in the fellowship hall at FBC for a program entitled, "Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual Songs." As the name implies, there will be quite a bit of music and I thought it would be nice if we could actually stand to sing (some will have to sit) with the piano (it is so bad, tone deaf people were complaining).

Bob Hull will be there this morning to tune around 9:30 am and, by lunch time, everything should be up to pitch (the count is three and two) and ready to go for Tuesday night's program.

I wonder if he can help tune up a couple of my singers?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're taking care of that piano! As the piano service manager for a major piano manufacturer for the US and Canada, I see and hear a lot of horror stories when churches (and other institutions) fail to pay attention.
By the way, you did tell your choir that when you were young, your mom and dad switched you from piano lessons to clarinet lessons didn't you? When we asked them why, they said, "He can't sing while playing the clarinet!"
Forgive me, I think I know too much about your childhood. (Someday I'll post the Sonny and Cher picture!)

RevKev♫ said...

How much do you want?

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure, yet. You know where there's Sonny & Cher.....there's more.