Saturday, November 29, 2008

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas


It's the Saturday after Thanksgiving and that can only mean one thing; we are going to decorate the house for Christmas. I can't wait .. I tried, but Cheryl won't let me.

When the kids were still at home, this was a happy, joyous occasion. When they were young, their little eyes would sparkle when we hung the stockings on the mantle and they wanted to help put the ornaments on the tree (I had to re-hang them .. equally spaced, of course).

When they got to be teenagers, they would sleep until noon and "wait it out" in their rooms until the "dirty work" was all done. However, at least they were still home to experience the holiday season with mom and dad.

Since Drew and Megan are gone, decorating for Christmas is right up there with having a root canal .. or colonoscopy.

I'm no Scrooge (although he is a huge role model .. along with Dr. Gregory House) but it just seems like too much of an effort for a season when neither of us is home enough to "enjoy" the tree, tinsel and trappings.

Cheryl has a different opinion and since marriage is "give and take" (she gives the orders and I take them), we will be doing things her way.

After all, tonight I want to "sleep in heavenly peace."

No comments: