Friday, November 28, 2008

I Can't Believe I Ate the Whole Thing


Thanksgiving Day has come and gone, but it will continue to linger in our hearts, minds and .. waistlines.

Why do we torture ourselves this way?

I knew from experience how miserable over-eating can be and I sat down at the table with good intentions. However, all those selections (so many choices .. so little time) and the peer pressure overwhelmed me and forty five minutes later, I was on the couch with my pants slightly unzipped, rubbing my stomach and singing, "Nearer, My God, to Thee."

It's not right.

This year we tried something very different from the traditional Thanksgiving meal. We had omelettes .. yes, omelettes. My brother-in-law cooked them to order and they were great. If we had stuck with the planned menu (the omelette, the whole omelette and nothing but the omelette), everything would have been fine. However, that didn't happen.

In addition to omelettes, we had biscuits, pork tenderloin, chicken and dumplings, dressing, grape salad, cinnamon rolls, sweet potato casserole, etc., etc., etc. You get the picture.

Self- control is one of the fruits of the Spirit, but it's one we don't really like to think about .. or practice. So, I am starting the day with this terrible feeling of guilt. Guilt for what I did yesterday and guilt over what I will do today .. and tomorrow (there are leftovers in the fridge).

The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

No comments: